top of page

MetroVoice Information Network

Public·15 members
Jonathan Reed
Jonathan Reed

Shantaram Book Buy

• Cookies are used to provide, analyse and improve our services; provide chat tools; and showyou relevant content on advertising. To learn more about our use of cookies, read our Cookies Help sectionAre you happy to accept cookies? Accept cookies Manage cookies Cookie Preferences We use cookies and similar tools that are necessary to enable you to make purchases, including those used by approved third parties (collectively, "cookies") for the purposes described below. You can learn more about how we (plus approved third parties) use cookies and how to change your settings by visiting the Cookies notice. The choices you make here will apply to your interaction with this service on this device. Essential We use cookies to provide our services, for example, to keep track of items stored in your shopping basket, prevent fraudulent activity, improve the security of our services, keep track of your specific preferences (such as currency or language preferences), and display features, products and services that might be of interest to you. Because we use cookies to provide you our services, they cannot be disabled when used for these purposes. Show less Show more Performance and Analytics ON OFF If you agree, we will use cookies to understand how customers use our services (for example, by measuring site visits) so we can make improvements. We use cookies to conduct research and diagnostics to improve our content, products and services, and to measure and analyse the performance of our services. Show less Show more Advertising ON OFF If you agree, we will use cookies to complement your shopping experience, as described in our Cookie Notice and serve you certain types of ads relevant to your interests on Book Depository. This includes using third party cookies for the purpose of displaying and measuring ads (see the Interest-Based Ads notice for how we use cookies in serving interest-based ads), measuring the effectiveness of ads, and as necessary for the third party to perform services on behalf of Book Depository. Show less Show more Cancel Save settings Home

• Contact us Help Free delivery worldwide Order Status Wishlist Sign in/Join 0 Search Advanced Search Free delivery worldwide Free delivery worldwide Shop by category Categories Children's Age Ranges All Categories Browse All Art & Photography

Audio Books Biography Business, Finance & Law Children's Books Computing Crafts & Hobbies Crime & Thriller Dictionaries & Languages Entertainment Fiction Food & Drink Graphic Novels, Anime & Manga Health History & Archaeology Home & Garden Humour Medical Mind, Body & Spirit Natural History Personal Development Poetry & Drama Reference Religion Romance Science & Geography Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Society & Social Sciences Sport Stationery Teaching Resources & Education Technology & Engineering Teen & Young Adult Transport Travel & Holiday Guides Children's books by age range

shantaram book buy

I highly recommend this book not just to people visiting India or those who have had culture shock, but really to anyone who enjoys a great story full of lively characters. Shantaram has a way of making you see past initial judgements whether about a place or a person. He shows you the stereotype of everything and then peels it back like the petals of a lotus flower until you see the full picture and beauty within.

Bookish Santa is the online bookstore for buying new books and used books at lowest prices with free shipping across India. We personally assess each and every book to ensure you get the best quality and value for money.

"Shantaram is a novel of the first order, a work of extraordinary art, a thing of exceptional beauty. If someone asked me what the book was about, I would have to say everything, every thing in the world. Gregory David Roberts does for Bombay what Lawrence Durrell did for Alexandria, what Melville did for the South Seas, and what Thoreau did for Walden Pond: He makes it an eternal player in the literature of the world." (Pat Conroy)

"A publishing phenomenon" Sunday TimesIt took me a long time and most of the world to learn what I know about love and fate and the choices we make, but the heart of it came to me in an instant, while I was chained to a wall and being tortured.Shantaram is a novel based on the life of the author, Gregory David Roberts. In 1978 Roberts was sentenced to nineteen years imprisonment as punishment for a series of robberies of building-society branches, credit unions, and shops he had committed while addicted to heroin. In July 1980 he escaped from Victoria's maximum-security prison in broad daylight, thereby becoming one of Australia's most wanted men for what turned out to be the next ten years. For most of this period he lived in Bombay. He set up a free health clinic in the slums, acted in Bollywood movies, worked for the Bombay mafia as a forger, counterfeiter, and smuggler and, as a gun-runner, resupplied a unit of mujaheddin guerrilla fighters in Afghanistan. This is the setting of Shantaram.Apart from having this highly unusual personal background, Greg Roberts is a very gifted writer. His book is a blend of vivid dialogue, unforgettable characters, amazing adventures, and superb evocations of Indian life. It can be read as a vast, extended thriller, as well as a superbly written meditation on the nature of good and evil. It is a compelling tale of a hunted man who had lost everything - his home, his family, and his soul - and came to find his humanity while living at the wildest edge of experience.Gregory David Roberts retired from public life in 2014 to devote time to his family and new writing projects. The Mountain Shadow, sequel to Shantaram, is available now.PRAISE FOR SHANTARAM"A literary masterpiece ... at once erudite and intimate, reflective and funny ... it has the grit and pace of a thriller" Daily Telegraph"Powerful and original ... a remarkable achievement" Sunday Telegraph"Extraordinarily vivid ... a gigantic, jaw-dropping, grittily authentic saga" Daily Mail"At once a high-kicking, eye-gouging adventure, a love saga and a savage yet tenderly lyrical fugitive vision." Time OutFans of Vikram Seth, John Irving and David Mitchell will love Shantaram.

"Shantaram is a novel of the first order, a work of extraordinary art, a thing of exceptional beauty. If someone asked me what the book was about, I would have to say everything, every thing in the world. Gregory David Roberts does for Bombay what Lawrence Durrell did for Alexandria, what Melville did for the South Seas, and what Thoreau did for Walden Pond: He makes it an eternal player in the literature of the world." --Pat Conroy "Shantaram has provided me with the richest reading experience to date and I don't expect anybody to unseat its all-round performance for a long time. It is seductive, powerful, complex, and blessed with a perfect voice. Like a voodoo ghost snatcher, Gregory David Roberts has captured the spirits of the likes of Henri Charrière, Rohinton Mistry, Tom Wolfe, and Mario Vargas Llosa, fused them with his own unique magic, and built the most gripping monument in print. The land of the god Ganesh has unchained the elephant, and with the monster running amok, I tremble for the brave soul dreaming of writing a novel about India. Gregory David Roberts is a suitable giant, a dazzling guru, and a genius in full." --Moses Isegawa, author of Abyssinian Chronicles and Snakepit "Shantaram is, quite simply, the 1001 Arabian Nights of the new century. Anyone who loves to read has been looking for this book all their reading life. Anyone who walks away from Shantaram untouched is either heartless or dead or both. I haven't had such a wonderful time in years." --Jonathan Carroll, author of White Apples "Shantaram is dazzling. More importantly, it offers a lesson...that those we incarcerate are human beings. They deserve to be treated with dignity. Some of them, after all, may be exceptional. Some may even possess genius." --Ayelet Waldman, author of Crossing the Park "Utterly unique, absolutely audacious, and wonderfully wild, Shantaram is sure to catch even the most fantastic of imaginations off guard." --Elle "Shantaram had me hooked from the first sentence. [It] is thrilling, touching, frightening...a glorious wallow of a novel." --Detroit Free Press "[A] sprawling, intelligent novel...full of vibrant characters...the exuberance of his prose is refreshing...Roberts brings us through Bombay's slums and opium houses, its prostitution dens and ex-pat bars, saying, You come now. And we follow." --The Washington Post "Inspired storytelling." --People "Vivid, entertaining. Its visceral, cinematic descriptive beauty truly impresses." --USA Today "Few stand out quite like Shantaram ...nothing if not entertaining. Sometimes a big story is its own best reward." --The New York Times "...very good...vast of vision and breadth." --Time Out "This massive autobiographical novel draws heavily from Roberts' vida loca. Don't let the size scare you away - Shantaram is one of the most gripping tales of personal redemption you'll ever read." --Giant Magazine "This reviewer is amazed that Roberts is here to write anything. Swallowed up by the abyss, somehow he crawled out intact....His love for other people was his salvation...Powerful books can change our lives. The potency of Shantaram is the joy of forgiveness. First we must regret, then forgive. Forgiveness is a beacon in the blackness." --Dayton Daily News " Shantaram is loads of colorful fun, [it] rises to something grand in its evocations of the pungent chaos of Bombay. " --Minneapolis Star Tribune "Shantaram is a true epic. It is a huge, messy, over-the-top irresistible shaggy-dog story." --The Seattle Times 041b061a72

About

Welcome to the group! You can connect with other members, ge...

Members

• Larry Holeman
    Completed the Introduction to Framework for Successmiracle worker
  • Jamal Matveyev
    Jamal Matveyev
  • Jeremiah James
    Jeremiah James
  • Dylan Lee
    Dylan Lee
  • Philip Quigley
    Philip Quigley
bottom of page